Frustrating times with the K1.
We have now done 3 NELPG steam tests but still have a problem with the manifold boss. This will now have to be partially seal welded to the outer wrapper. This will be done tomorrow.
It will then need a further NELPG steam test before we can arrange the VAB functional and insurance in-steam exams.
To complicate matters the engine and tender are due to go to Tyseley (by road) for tyre turning on Wednesday so it will not be possible to carry out the next NELPG steam test until it returns to Carnforth at the beginning of next week.
The result of all of this is that the loco's journey North is likely to be delayed until the week commencing 14th May - what was intended to be its first week on the Jacabite.
Clearly we are now paying for slipping so far behind programme over winter.
Mike B, Les H and I will be going back to Carnforth tomorrow to prepare the for the road move and to continue with a few outstanding jobs. There will however need to be a huge push to reassemble the engine and get it through its various tests and exams when it returns from Tyseley at the beginning of the week commencing 7th May. If you can assist with this in any way then I will be very pleased to hear from you.